Clarksville (UK) Clarksville) is a city in Montgomery County, northern Tennessee State, the United States, and is the district office location of the county. located about 70km northwest of the capital Nashville. According to the 2010 Census, the population was 132,929, the fifth largest city in the state after Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga. The Clarksville metropolitan area, centered on Clarksville, spans four counties: Montgomery, Stewart, Christian and Trig.
City of Clarksville
|Nickname: The Entry to the New South|
|Slogan: "'Tennessee's Top Spot'"|
Clarksville City is in the center of Montgomery County in Tennessee
|Coordinates: 36 degrees 31 minutes 47 seconds north latitude 87 degrees 21 minutes 33 seconds west longitude / 36.52972 degrees north latitude 87.35917 degrees west longitude / 36.52972 degrees; -87.35917|
City of Clarksville
|region||247.4 km2 (95.5 mi2)|
|land||245.7 km2 (94.9 mi2)|
|water surface||1,8 km2 (0.7 mi2)|
|water area ratio||0.71%|
|Elevation||155 m (509 ft)|
|population||(as of 2010)|
|population density||421.1 people/km2 (1,090.6 people/mi2)|
|equal time||Central Standard Time (UTC-6)|
|daylight saving time||Central Daylight Time (UTC-5)|
|Official website: City of Clarksville|
Clarksville was founded in 1785 and named after George Rogers Clark. Clark was a man who developed Tennessee, a frontier at that time, and became a hero in the American Revolution, and an older brother of William Clark, who led the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
The Clarksville has Austin PE State University and the Leaf Chronicle, which is also located next to Campbell's Fort, a base of the United States Army. The 101st Airborne Division is stationed in Fort Campbell, about 10 miles (16 km) from central Clarksville, crossing the border between Tennessee and Kentucky states.
There are nicknamed 'Joo no Ichi' (The City of Queens), 'Kamberland no Joo' (The Queen of Cumberland), and 'The Entrance to the New South' among the cities. The slogan "Top Spot in Tennessee" was introduced as a new "brand" in April 2008.
The area that became Clarksville began in 1768 when Thomas Hutchins surveyed it. Hutchins named the rocky cliffs at the confluence of the Cumberland and Red Rivers Red Paint Hill as a landmark for the river's navigation. From 1771 to 1775, John Montgomery, who became the name of a county, visited the area during a hunting trip with Caspar Manskar. In the same year, Richard Henderson bought the land between the Ohio and Cumberland from the Cherokee Indians. The price was horses, guns and alcohol. The dispute between the tribe and the pioneers arose because other local tribes, such as the Creek, Shawnee and Chicasau, claimed that they were part of their territory.
In 1779, James Robertson led a group of pioneers from East Tennessee to this place through Daniel Boone's "The Road of the Wilderness". Robertson later built a steel mill in Cumberland Furness. One year later, in 1780, John Donnell ran back the Cumberland River on a group of flat-bottomed boats to French (or Big Rick), a French trading post that would later become a Nashville. When the ship was about to reach the Red Paint Hill, Moses Renflow, Joseph Renflow and Solomon Turpin, together with their families, took separate actions and headed towards the Red River. The group moved to Parsons Creek, close to today's Port Royale, and landed to cultivate it. But they were attacked by the Indians that summer and were forced to withdraw.
Clarksville took part in the American War of Independence under General George Washington and was designated as a town that was partially exploited by soldiers of the Great Army who were dismantled after the war. At the end of the war, the federal government did not have enough money to pay the soldiers, and the North Carolina State Council designated in 1790 the land west of the state border as the land for the Federal Land Patent Project. The Clarksville area was considered as a land that could be developed and settled because the land was divided and land-occupied. The land was devoted to the country and used for the land that was established with the family as a reward for the soldiers who were eligible to receive payment.
The development and culture of Clarksville depended on the interdependence of the citizens and the army. The formation of the town's skeleton was around the end of the War of Independence. During the Civil War, the male population decreased dramatically due to the victory of the Northern Army in the Battle of Fort Henry and the Battle of Fort Donnell. Many men were detained in the Northern Camp. In World War I, he lost many people from Clarksville. In World War II, Camp Campbell, which later became a fort of Campbell, was built, and the connection with the army was strengthened. The soldiers who left Fort Campbell were used in all operations since the formation of the base.
On January 16, 1784, John Armstrong submitted a proposal to the North Carolina State Council to establish a town called Clarksville, following General George Rogers Clark. The lot was sold before the town was officially established. In October 1785, Colonel Robert Weekly divided the town of Clarksville for Martin Armstrong and Colonel Montgomery, and Weekly chose the section for the task. He chose Spring Street and the 20th block at the northeast corner of Main Street. The town consisted of 20 blocks consisting of 140 blocks and 44 non-sales sections. The original building was located on the 93rd section on the north side of Franklin Street between Front Street and No. 2. Kyodo Yusui was located at the 74th corner of the northeast corner of Spring Street and Commerce Street. Weekly had its first house built in February 1786, and Colonel Montgomery arrived in February or March and had the house built in the second house. On 29 December 1785, Clarksville was established by the North Carolina State Council, following the official survey by James Sanders. It was the second town established in this area. Armstrong placed the town on a hill overlooking the Cumberland River in case of flood. The town consisted of 12 square blocks of four acres (16,000 meters). The main streets running east and west were named Jefferson, Washington (currently College), Franklin, Maine and Commerce from the north. The street running north-south was named water (currently riverside drive), spring, first, second and third from the east of the river.
The region's tobacco trade grew year by year, and in 1789 Montgomery and Martin Armstrong appealed to Congress to designate Clarksville as the place to inspect tobacco. In 1790, Isaac Law Peterson claimed ownership of Dumber Cave, just northeast of the city.
When Tennessee was promoted to the state of the United States on June 1, 1796, Clarksville and its eastern region were called Tennessee County (this county was established by the state of North Carolina in 1788). Later, Tennessee County was divided into the present Montgomery County and Robertson County, and they were named after the men who developed the area to develop it.
At the beginning of the 19th century, Clarksville grew rapidly. The Rural Academy was established in 1806, recognizing the need to build educational facilities. This later replaced the Mount Pleasant Academy. By 1819, there were 22 stores in the town, including bakeries and silver craftspeople. In 1820, steamboats started the Cumberland River and carried hardware, coffee, sugar, textile products and glass. The town shipped flour, tobacco, cotton and corn to New Orleans along the Mississippi and Pittsburgh along the Ohio River. As for land routes, four major gravel roads were completed and trade was developed. The two land roads headed for Nashville, one called the Kentucky Road, which was a ferry crossing the Red River, and the other called the Russell Road. In 1829, the first bridge to connect New Providence across the Red River was built. Nine years later, Clarksville Hopkinsville Turnpike was built. In 1855, the city government was established in Clarksville. On October 1, 1859, the railroad entered the town as the Memphis Clarksville and Louisville Railroad. The railroad was later connected to other railroads in Guthrie, Paris and Kentucky.
By the time the Civil War broke out, the total population of Clarksville and the county was 20,000. Slavery was practiced in the region, and black people worked in tobacco fields. In 1861, both Clarksville City and Montgomery County voted to join the Southern Army in a unanimous vote. The United States had a strong connection with the United States because of the proximity of the birth of the President of the United States of America, Jefferson Davis, and both the Southern and Northern forces regarded the city as a strategically important place. The Southern Army General Albert Johnston built a defensive line around Clarksville, predicting a land-by-land attack. However, the Northern Army descended the Cumberland River and sent troops and gunboats, and in 1862 occupied Fort Donnell, Fort Henry and Clarksville. From 1862 to 1865, the town changed its army several times, but the Northern Army continued to rule the area. Many of the former slaves who were released gathered in Clarksville and joined the Northern Army to form a black regiment. The rest lived in a hut dug on the bank.
After the war, the company experienced the reconstruction, and in 1872, the then-current railway was bought by Louisville and Nashville Railway. The town continued to grow until 1878, but the great fire of the year destroyed 15 acres (60,000 meters 2) of its central business district and destroyed city buildings and many other historical buildings at that time. This fire was considered to be a place on Franklin Street. This big Ugo-machi was rebuilt and started a new business in the 20th century. The first car entered the city at this time, and it excited me a lot.
Another form of entertainment came soon. In 1913, the first movie theater in Clarksville, Lilian Theater, opened on Franklin Street by Joseph Goldberg. There were more than 500 seats. In 1915, less than two years later, the theater burned down, but it was rebuilt later that year.
When World War I intensified on the European continent, many volunteer soldiers departed from the area and reaffirmed the nickname 'State of Volunteer Soldiers' which was given to Tennessee at the time of the previous wars, such as the Anglo-American War and the Sino-American War. During this period, women's suffrage became a big issue, and the women of Clarksville needed to do business with the bank without relying on their husbands and fathers who were fighting. In response to this, Mrs. Frank J. Lanian established the first Tennessee Women's Bank in 1919.
In the 1920s, the town grew further. For transportation, a bus route was established between Clarksville and Hopkinsville in 1922. In 1927, the Austin PI Normal School was established, which later became the Austin PI State University. In 1928, a 600-seat majestic theater and a 900-seat capitol theater opened. John Outlaw, a local astronaut, built the Outlaw Airport in 1929.
The biggest change for Clarksville City was the construction of Camp Campbell (the current Campbell Fort) in 1942. The new Army Base was 10 miles (16 km) northwest of the city, and was able to accommodate 23,000 soldiers, immediately exploding the population and economy of Clarksville.
In recent decades, the city of New Providence and St. Bethlehem have been merged to double the size and increase the population of Clarksville. The construction of the Interstate Expressway Route 24 in the north of St. Bethlehem became the main development area, and the majority of the growth along U.S. National Route 79 was made by retail stores. In 1954, Clarksville Memorial Hospital was built along Madison Street. Lillian Theater in the center of the city was renamed Roxy Theater and is performing plays and performing arts every week even today.
The Roxy Theater has been used as a background for many photographs, movies, documentaries, music videos and TV commercials. The most famous song was "All I Wanna Do," which Sheryl Crow won the Grammy Award, and was shot in front of the Roxy Theater.
On the morning of January 22, 1999, the central town of Clarksville was attacked by a tornado of Fujita Scale 3, and many buildings including county buildings were destroyed. The tornado was 880 yards in width (800 meters), extending 4.3 miles (7 km) in total, reaching St. Bethlehem. There were no dead or seriously injured. Subsequently, Clarksville was restored and the restoration of many of the damage was a symbol of the city's resilience. In the area where a building on Franklin Street stood, a large wall painting of the historic buildings of Clarksville was created on one side of the wall.
Clarksville has the Northern Bank established in 1854, the oldest bank in the state, and is now the Amsouth Bank. There is also the oldest newspaper in the state, "The Leaf Chronicle," published in 1808, and the Tennessee Women's Bank, which was founded and operated by women alone in 1919, is the only bank in the world.
History of county buildings
The first county building was built in 1796 by James Adams, combining logs. It was built near the riverbank at the corner of Riverside Drive and Washington Street. Later, the third county building was constructed on the land provided by Henry Small and the second generation in 1805. The fourth head of the family was constructed in 1811 and became the first brick building. It was built in the eastern half of the public square, the land donated by Martin Armstrong. In 1843, the fifth-generation county building was built on Franklin Street. This existed until the great fire of 1878.
The 6th and present government building was built between No. 2 and No. 3 streets on May 16, 1879 with foundation stones placed there. This building was designed by George W. Bunting of Indianapolis. Five years later, the roof of the building was damaged by a tornado that hit the central town. This was repaired. On March 12, 1900, the government building was again hit by a fire, and the upper floor was destroyed, and the clock tower collapsed. Many citizens wanted the building to be destroyed and replaced with a safe one, but the judge refused to demolish it and restored it.
The building was destroyed again on January 22, 1999 in a tornado. The residents intended to build a new building, but the whole building was finally renovated. On the day of the disaster, four years later, the government building was removed again. In addition to the restoration of the original buildings and squares, a new Court Center was constructed on the north side of the building.
Clarksville has latitude 36 degrees 31 minutes 47 seconds north and longitude 87 degrees 21 minutes 33 seconds west and latitude 36.52972 degrees north and longitude 87.35917 degrees west/ 36.52972 degrees; -87.35917. The altitude is 382 feet (116 meters). The elevation is part of a riverside drive that runs along the east coast of the Camberland River, but most of the town is higher than that. The Outlaw Airport, a civil airport in Clarksville, is 550 feet (168 meters) above sea level. According to Topo USA's map software, the town square is 475 feet (145 meters) high above sea level and the county building is 509 feet (155 meters) high. On the north side of the Memorial Drive near the medical court, there is a point 598 feet (182 meters) above sea level.
According to the National Census Bureau, the total area of the city is 95.5 square miles (247.4 km2), of which the land area is 94.9 square miles (245.7 km2), the water surface is 0.7 square miles (1.8 km 2), and the water area is 0.71%.
Clarksville is located on the northwest edge of the Highland rim surrounding the Nashville basin and 45 miles (72 km) northwest of the Nashville.
Clarksville was established along the Cumberland River near the junction of the Cumberland and Red. The Cumberland River flows down from Nashville, about 40 miles (64 km) southeast of Clarksville. Since the establishment of Clarksville, the Cumberland River has been a commercial life line. At first it was a flat-bottomed boat, and from the 1802s it was a steamboat that carried cotton, oats, soybeans and tobacco to Pittsburgh on the downstream of the Ohio River. Many were carried down the Mississippi from the Ohio River to New Orleans. Dark fire and valley leaf tobacco were produced locally, and by European tobacco buyers, it became the world's largest market for the type 22 tobacco used especially for smokeless products. In the 19th century, it was considered to be the most nicotine-rich species of all tobacco.
In the northwest of Clarksville, there is Fort Campbell's army, the base of the 101st Airborne Division. The economy of Clarksville owes much to the existence of Fort Campbell (and Austin Pee State University). Most of Campbell's Fort is located in Montgomery and Stewart counties in Tennessee. The Kentucky State address is given as the post office under the jurisdiction is located in Kentucky.
The following is demographic data from the 2000 census.
Households and family (number of households)
The following data on income is estimated in 2007. income and family
higher education institution
- Austin Pee State University
- Bessel College
- Miller Mott College of Technology
- Drawhands Junior College
- Austin Beauty College
- North Central Institute
- North Tennessee Bible Institute
- Queen City College
12th grade from kindergarten student
Clarksville Montgomery County School District runs six high schools, six middle schools, 18 elementary schools, and a total of 30 public schools, with about 30,000 children attending. There is also a magnet school from kindergarten students to fifth grade.
Public high schools in Clarksville Montgomery County
- Northeast High School (800 students)
- Clarksville High School (1,259 students)
- Rossview High School (1,500 students)
- Northwest High School (1,171 students)
- Kenwood High School (1,152 students)
- West Creek High School (1,000 students)
- Montgomery Central High School (950 students)
private high school
- Clarksville Academy (613 students, 12 students from kindergarten)
- Montgomery Christian Academy (175 students, 12 years from kindergarten student)
- The Bible Baptist Academy (142 students, 12 students from kindergarten students, and closed in 2000)
- Women's Academy (58 students, 4th to 12th grade)
- Academy for Academic Excellence (50 students, 1 to 12)
- Helicon/Clarksville Diagnostic (25th and 6th to 12th grade students)
The main employer of Clarksville is as follows:
- American Standard
- Abelit Hardwoods International
- Bridgestone Metalfa USA
- Clarksville Fundley
- Florim USA
- Fort Campbell
- Hendrickson Trailer Suspends Systems
- Jones Printing and Publishing Division
- Letica Corporation
- Precision Printing and Packaging
- Premier Ware
- Print Xcel
- Robert Bosch
- Smithfield Manufacturing
- SPX, Metal Forging Division
- Startech USA
- UCAR carbon
- Balkan, Rubber Division
- Whitson Lamber
- Storm Pay
- F&M Bank
- Legends Bank
- Google, Data Center
- LG Electronics and Washing Machine Plant
Although Clarksville citizens can use the commercial flight of Nashville International Airport, there is a small airport called Outlaw Airport at 10 miles (16 km) north of the central city. The airport has nearly 40,000 flights a year, including pilot training schools and small airlines. The runway has a length of 6,000 feet (1800 meters) and a width of 100 feet (30 meters), and a length of 4,004 feet (1200 meters) and a width of 100 feet (30 meters), and two in total.
Major and High Road
- US National Route 41, Madison Street and Fort Campbell Boulevard in the city
- U.S. National Route 79, Wilma Rudolf Boulevard
- Interstate Expressway Route 24, (designated as the destination on the route)
- Ashland City Highway, Route 12
- Route 13
- Route 48
- Route 76, Martin Luther King, Jr. Parkway
- Route 374, Warfield Boulevard, 101st Airborne Parkway, Purple Heart Parkway
The June 2004 Money magazine ranked Clarksville as one of the top five cities with a population of less than 250,000 that will attract creative professionals over the next 10 years.
In addition, he has received several other good reviews as follows.
- Southern Business and Development Magazine, Top 10 Spots with Talented South Workers, May 2006
- 90th City Rank for Forbes, Business and Career, May 2001
- Antreplanar Magazine, South's No. 1
- Money. 57th place to live, July 1996
- Golf Digest, 11th largest city for public golf, July 1998
- Leaders Digest, Family-Friendly City 38th, April 1997
- National Civic League, finalist at 2002 U.S. City Award
Places of interest
- Downtown Artist Koop
- Roxy Theater
- Governor's Square Mall
- The Woodland of Clarksville
- Clarksville Speedway Racetrack
- Beachaven Vineyard and Winery
- Ringgold Mill (located in North Clarksville)
- Port Royal State Park, historic community in Montgomery County and the place where the first European civilization visited
- a historic Colinsville that restored the style of life of the early European and African American pioneers
- the second largest general museum in Tennessee, located in the center of Custom's House Museum and Cultural Center and Clarksville
- L&N Station, Central Town Restored Railway Station
- Statue of Wilma Rudolf Celebrates America's most outstanding Olympic Player
- Cumberland Riverwalk
- Dumber Cave
- King's Bluff, a rock climbing field along the Cumberland River, with more than 200 routes
- Clarksville Public Square
- Alter Gallery
- Pillar of Cloud, Pillar of Fire, Greg Schranger sculpture, Public Square
- Ennok Tanner Wickham statue in the nearby Palmyra
well known resident
The following celebrities were born or lived in Clarksville.
- The Country Music Star
- Steve Adams, former Tennessee Commissioner
- List of United States senators from James E. Bailey, Tennessee
- David Bibb Acting Manager of the General Procurement Bureau
- Willie Brown, Governor of Tennessee (term of office 1809-1815)
- Robert Burt, African american surgeon
- Ben Clark, the second youngest American to climb Mt. Everest
- The President of Austin Pee State University
- Nate Colbert, MLB players
- Survivor: Borneo" cast, local radio DJ
- Mike Hongden Brook, British-born social critic and philanthropist
- Riley Dernell, former Tennessee Senator, former Tennessee Secretary of State
- a journalist famous for the names of Dorothy Dicks and Elizabeth Meriwether Gilmer and the life-talk section of the newspaper
- Sonia Kay Elliot, Certified Nurse, Assistant and Legal Nurse Consultant, President of Isshoe Elements Points
- Thomas Forehand Jr., Robert E. Lee, Presenter and writer
- Harry Garbres, NFL, Miami Dolphin, Green Bay Packers, New York Jets
- Block Gillespie players
- Jeff Gooch, former NFL player, Tampa Bay Buccaneers'96-'01,'04, Detroit Lions'02-'03
- Ernest William Goodpicture, pathologist, doctor
- wife of Caroline Gordon and novelist Allen Tate
- Phila Hatch, Chef, Cookbook Author
- Trenton Hassel, NBA, Minnesota Timberwolves, Chicago Bulls, Dallas Marberix, New Jersey Nets
- Roland Hayes
- Tommy Head, Senator from Tennessee
- Gustaves Adolphus Henry Sr. (1804-1880), a member of the Hoig Party in Kentucky and the Democratic Party of Tennessee and a hawkish orator in Tennessee
- Percy Howard, NFL, Dallas Cowboys' wide receiver
- Douglas S. Jackson, Tennessee state senators
- United States Post Secretary from 1845 to 1849 between Cave Johnson, Democrat, United States House of Representatives from Tennessee and President James Poke
- Dorothy Jordan, Actress
- Otis Key, Players and Coaches, Harlem Globe Trotters
- Joseph Buckner Kildobrue, educator, lawyer, reformer, Tennessee State Innovator Public School Law
- Rosalind Crita, Tennessee state senators
- Horace Lysenby, MLB, pitcher for Washington Senetas
- Horace Harmon Larton, Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States
- John Hartwell Malable, United States House of Representatives
- Sean Marion, NBA, Olympic Games, Phoenix Sands, Miami Heat and Toronto Raptors)
- Wild Bill Massey, Professional Remote Control Car Racer
- John Morgan, Tennessee Treasurer
- Isaac Murphy, Governor of Arkansas, the First at the Reconstruction
- Robert Loftin Newman, painter
- Mary C. Noble, Judge of the Supreme Court of Kentucky
- Wayne Pay, Time Warner CFO
- Asahel Huntington Patch, Black Hawk Corn Thresher inventor
- Austin PEE, Governor of Tennessee (term of office 1922-1927), and his name was adopted at Austin PEE State University
- Chongda Pierce, Christian comedian, entertainer
- List of United States senators from Key Pitman and Nevada
- Members of the Tennessee House of Representatives, Joe Pitts
- Jeff Pervis and the Bush series race car drivers
- James B. Reynolds
- Mason Rudolf, progolfer,
- Wilma Rudolf, the first woman to win three gold medals at the Olympics
- Brenda Vineyard Lanian, founder and manager of the Tennessee Women's Bank, a historical bank (1919-1926)
- Kurt Lyle, Lyricist and Musician
- Clarence Sanders, founder of the Pigley Wigley Supermarket business
- Evelyn Scott, Poet and Novelist
- Valentine's Seville, military man during the Revolution, John Sevia's younger brother, the first governor of Tennessee, and the pioneer built the Sevia Station in Clarksville as a small fort to escape the Indian attack, and this building still remains as a historical building
- George Sheryl, MLB, Los Angeles Dodgers
- Michael Shoulder, children's writer
- Rachel Smith, 2007, Miss USA
- An entrepreneur who founded Peak Fitness, Jeff Stick
- Travis Stevens, NFL, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Chad Sagg, Singer-Songwriter Backseat Goodbye
- Pat Summit Women's Basketball Coach at Tennessee University
- played Sergeant Carter in Frank Sutton, actor and TV Gomer Pyle, USMC
- Allen Tate, a poet
- Sloan Thomas, NFL, former Tennessee Titans wide receiver
- Robert Penn Warren, poet
- Jamie Walker, MLB, Baltimore Orioles, Kansas City Royals, Detroit Tigers
- Buba Wells, Austin Pee State University graduate, former NBA players
- General of the United States Army
- William "Sammy" Stuart, President of the Tennessee Bankers Association, CEO of F&M Bank
- Clarence Cameron White, musician
- James "Fly" Williams, basketball player, first American Basketball Association in the 1970s
- Hawey Light, basketball player in the 1970s New York Nix
- played Sergeant Whipple on Gomer Pyle on Back Young, actors and TV
- ^ a b c Clarksville, Tennessee: Gateway to the New South, Fort Campbell website
- ^ "Clarksville unveils new "Brand" as "Tennessee's Top Spot!"". 10-01-24 Read.
- ^ a b State & County QuickFacts, Clarksville, Tennessee, 2011-12-24 Read
- ^ Miller, Larry L. (2001). Tennessee place-names. Indiana University Press. p. 46. ISBN 978025333984310-01-24.
- ^ Queen City Lodge #761 - Free & Accepted Masons, accessed October 11, 2008
- ^ Clarksville unveils new "Brand" as "Tennessee's Top Spot!", Turner McCullough Jr., Clarksville Online, April 12, 2008
- ^ Clarksville, Tennessee. Money Mag Ranking.
- ^ city's website
- ^ M is for Michael
- ^ Howie Wright Statistics - Basketball-Reference.com
- City of Clarksville - Official City Site
- Clarksville Online - Newspaper
- Clarksville, TN - DMOZ (English)
- Clarksville Montgomery County School System
- The Leaf-Chronicle newspaper
- Clarksville, Tennessee - City-Data.com
- Clarksville, TN - Yahoo!Map Map